Monday 5 November 2012

One of the World's Greatest Clothing Retailers: Zara

This week I read an article off of the Forbes website that talked about the fabulous retailer Zara.


Did you know that Zara's parent company Inditex SA is THEE top clothing retailer in the world... :O I would of thought it was H&M but I guess since the company runs 9 other popular clothing retailers that it would make sense that last year it's revenue finished at 19.15 billion as of January 31, 2012.

I did some research and none of the other clothing brands are familiar to me so I'm assuming they are mostly european based brands.

Have you guys heard of : Massimo DuttiBershkaOyshoPull and BearStradivariusZaraTempe and Uterqüe, and a low cost brand entitled Lefties?... Ya me either haha. 


One of the most interesting things that I read in this article would be the fact that Zara has approx. 10,000 new designs each year! 
According to this article, it is their top notch supply chain that makes them so successful. They have created a fast and flexible supply chain that starts it's clothing manufacturing in 14 spanish factories and then sends the half-finished clothing to 300 different small shops in Portugal and Galacia to finish the job. Their efficient system allows the Zara stores to have new trends right on time. 


I think that's a pretty interesting system compared to the many Asia sweatshops we always hear about. I know this is a little random but I really hope Zara's factory workers are of legal age and get paid minimum and not below minimum wage. Perhaps I will look into it and that will be another upcoming blog. I can see the title now " Retailer sweatshops EXPOSED" :) 

Anyways I thought that was kind of an interesting article. If you want to read more click here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregpetro/2012/10/25/the-future-of-fashion-retailing-the-zara-approach-part-2-of-3/?ss=ceo-network

Hope everyone is having a good week so far! Feel free to leave any comments or ideas for upcoming blogs below!! 
xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment